Social media can be very useful because people can look online to see what is going on in the world instead of waiting for a newspaper to show up on your front step of your house. For an example, a benefit to social media is over 50% of people learn about breaking news on social media. The people who are benefited would be the ones who read this to learn what is going on and where it is happening. This could be weather related or it could be some else. Either way, the internet is there to help people know what is going on around them. This is very useful for me because I don't get newspapers at my house. I have to rely on the Internet or the TV.
But social media can also be harmful to people. For example, 49.1% of people have heard false news via social media. People look up things on the Internet about celebrities to see what is going on with them. I know I do that. But then if you were to check other sources, they say something different from what you had just previously read. This gives out the false information because you don't know what is true or false. This relates to me because I recently picked up a magazine to check out Blake Shelton and Gwen Stafani and then I didn't have time to read it at the store so I checked online about it. Well, it turned out that they both had different information so I have no clue what is true about them.
Both of these statistics comes from the source of Kristin Marino who is a journalist. I would say that she is reliable because these statistics make sense about people and it appears she took some sort of surveys or something at a school to find these out.
Kristin Marino,"Social Media: The New Source," www.schools.com, April. 16. 2012
Hi Paige, I can definitely see both sides to the social media issue. I can say that I use social media a lot myself and I can't decide if the benefits outweigh the cons or not. I like that you can get news instantly but I think that it takes up way too much of my time. It takes away from quality time I should be spending with my family and friends. One of the things I hate to see is a room full of people being together but not together at all because everyone is on one of their digital devices. So sad.
ReplyDelete