Monday, April 11, 2016

Secret Ink

There many mixed messages when we talk about tattoos. This is because people want tattoos but they don't want to be judged for them. When a person gets a tattoo they have to think of what they are going to say to the person that asks them why they got a tattoo. It shouldn't be a big deal why a person got what they got. They shouldn't have to explain it. But people seem to always prepare the answer for that question. Also, a lot of times people put the tattoo in places where it can be hidden. They do this so it doesn't cause interference with work, although businesses can fire you if they think it is going to be bad for their business, but also because then they don't have to explain to people about their tattoo.
These are mixed messages because it is their own body that they should feel free to do what they want to it without having to give an explanation for. They also shouldn't have to feel like they need to hide their tattoos to fit in. Even though tattoos are more accepting these days, it is still not 100% accepting. People get judged and questioned all the time for why they have a tattoo and what their image is.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about the statement where people want tattoos but don't want the judgement to come along with it. You are also right about people always having the answer to their question about their tattoo whether it is meaningful or not. It is also scary to get a tattoo and not know if it will jeopardize your work place or even getting a job in that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2 tattoos. One is hidden, and the other one is on my ankle, which one only sees during the summer. I am not ashamed of my tattoos, but understand why people cover them up.
    I have a shirt, Harley Motorcycle shirt, with tattoo sleeves (see-through sleeves that give the illusion that your arms are tattooed). I wore it once, and was FLOORED by the looks and comments I got. I overheard one lady tell her friend, "Its nice to know where my tax money is going." I am not usually a confrontational person, but I spoke up and said, "Hmmm...interesting. I didnt know that YOUR tax money bought this shirt for me. I thought I did." I then proceeded to roll my sleeves, and the lady walked embarrassed. Her face was fire engine red!
    With that happening to me, I make it a point not to judge people by their tattoos, whether it be one, or a full sleeve (or faux sleeve;) ).

    ReplyDelete